Safe-R-Brakes Ltd was started in 1948 by 2 ex RNZAF mates, Ian Hamilton and Alan Shepherd after realizing a need for a Brake specialist in Christchurch. After obtaining an import license needed to purchase the necessary specialized equipment from the USA a suitable premises was found in Mollet Street.
By late 1949 Safe-R-Brakes was under way. After a slow beginning, the business improved and staff numbers increased. Alan Shepherd left and traveled north to Auckland and left Ian Hamilton and the staff to grow the business.
Colin Perham was bought in as a partner in 1956 as business increased. In the following years it was becoming apparent that Safe-R-Brakes was outgrowing it’s premises and in 1968 Safe-R-Brakes was moved to it’s purpose built premises on the corner of Fitzgerald Ave and Tuam St.
Ian Hamilton sold his shares in the business in 1976 after ill heath and left Colin Perham to run Safe-R-Brakes. Colin became the driving force behind the New Zealand Brake and Clutch Specialists Association, which he started and was President from its start until he died in 1983.